From WikiMD Wellnesspedia & World Directory
Internal medicine, also called general medicine (in Commonwealth nations) is the medical specialty dealing with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases. Physicians specializing in internal medicine are called internists, or physicians.
Hospitalists and primary care
- Internists are especially skilled in the management of patients who have undifferentiated or multi-system disease processes. Internists that take care of patients primarily in the outpatient setting are called primary care physicians.
- Internists care for hospitalized and ambulatory patients and may play a major role in teaching and research. Those internists and other physicians that focus on taking care of hospitalized patients are called hospitalists.
What do Internal Medicine physicians do?
- Internal medicine physicians who diagnose and provide non-surgical treatment of diseases and injuries of internal organ systems.
- They provide care mainly for adults who have a wide range of problems associated with the internal organs.
- Subspecialists, such as cardiologists, gastroenterologists, pulmonologists, endocrinologists, hematologists, oncologists, nephrologists etc are internal medicine physicians that specialize after internal medicine training.
Internal medicine physicians can perform the following procedures: The type of procedures performed depend on the provider's practice and may include:
- arterial puncture or (ABG)
- Endotracheal tube placement or intubation
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Intravenous (IV) line insertion
- Nasogastric tube (NG tube0 placement
- Urinary catheters placement (Foley's catheter)
Other procedures include:Abdominal paracentesis, Arterial line placement, Central venous line placement, Arthrocentesis, Electrocardiography, Incision / drainage of an abscess, Lumbar puncture, and Thoracentesis etc.
Top internal medicine journals
- Wondering which academic journals does Internal medicine as a provider might follow?
Some of the top journals that Internal medicine may follow to keep abreast with the latest studies and research in the field of internal medicine:
- Journal of Internal Medicine
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- The New England Journal of Medicine
- Journal of General Internal Medicine
- The Lancet
- JAMA Internal Medicine
Do you know which academic journals does Internal medicine as a provider follow?
Choosing the right internist
- Here are some tips on choosing the right internal medicine doctor.
- Choosing a Doctor: Quick Tips
Education of internal medicine physicians
Internal medicine residency training
Subspecialties of internal medicine
Job opportunities and prospects
For job profile and outlook, see BLS.GOV
Famous internal medicine physicians
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
List of Internal medicine doctors
Comprehensive list of Category:Internal medicine providers in the United States.
- International Society of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine Society of Australia and New Zealand
- The American Board of Internal Medicine
- Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
- The American College of Osteopathic Internists
- American College of Physicians