Editor-In-Chief of Cardiology: Anuradha Kolluru M.D.
Dr. Anuradha Kolluru is a leading board certified general cardiology physician with over 10 years of practice experience in treating patients for a variety of cardiovascular diseases. Dr Kolluru is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) in many specialties including internal medicine, cardiovascular disease, nuclear cardiology, echocardiography, cardiovascular CT and vascular interpretation (RPVI).
Cardiology is a branch of the internal medicine and is the study of the heart, blood vessels and circulatory system. The origin of the term cardiology is from Greek Cardio which means heart and Logos which means study. As cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of mortality in many countries including the United States, the field of cardiology plays a pre-eminent role in health care. The physicians, and other health care providers that care for patients with cardiovascular diseases are called cardiologists. One of the most common heart diseases in the Western World is called coronary artery disease (CAD), caused by blood flow due to atherosclerosis that can cause a heart attack.
Branches of cardiology
- Adult cardiology
- Cardiac electrophysiology – study of the electrical properties and conduction diseases of the heart.
- Cardiogeriatrics (geriatric cardiology) –
- Cardiac-oncology –
- Echocardiography – use of ultrasound to study the mechanical function/physics of the heart.
- Interventional cardiology – use of catheters for the treatment of structural and ischemic diseases of the heart.
- Nuclear cardiology – use of nuclear medicine to visualize the uptake of an isotope by the heart using radioactive sources.
- Pediatric cardiology
Overview of cardiology
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- Heart Rhythm Society
- Indian Heart Association
- National Heart Foundation of Australia
- Carotid artery ultrasound
- Dobutamine nuclear imaging
- Pacemaker implantation
- Rotational atherectomy
Please contact the provider's office of for the exact procedures, tests, and other services performed by .
Choosing the right cardiologist
Some of the common journals cardiologists follow include:
List of heart diseases
- Acta Cardiologica
- American Journal of Cardiology
- Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia
- Cardiology in Review
- Circulation Research
- Clinical and Experimental Hypertension
- Clinical Cardiology
- EP – Europace
- European Heart Journal
- Experimental & Clinical Cardiology
- Heart Rhythm
- International Journal of Cardiology
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology
- Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology
Latest articles - Cardiology