The field of orthopedics is a sub-specialty of surgery that deals with musculoskeletal problems that may need surgery. Some of these include fractures of bones, joint problems such as arthritis, injuries to tendons and ligaments, and orthopedic tumors in any location.
Sports medicine is a branch of othopedics that deals with contact sports and the related injuries, prevention and management.
The spine surgery is a branch of orthopedics that deals with surgical problems related to the spine
Hand surgery is a very specialized field of orthopedics that deals with hands
List of orthopedic services
Imaging procedures can help diagnose or even treat many orthopedic conditions. Your health care provider may order:
- Arthrogram (joint x-ray)
- Bone scans
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
Surgical procedures used in the treatment of orthopedics include:
- Arthroscopic surgeries
- Bunionectomy and hammer toe repair
- Cartilage repair or resurfacing procedures
- Cartilage surgery to knee
- Fracture care
- Ligament reconstructions
- Repair of torn ligaments and tendons
- Spine surgery, including diskectomy, foraminotomy, laminectomy, and spinal fusion
- Newer orthopedic services procedures include:
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Advanced external fixation
- Use of bone graft substitutes and bone-fusing protein
Orthopedics - AI prompts and tools
- As a Professor: - Act as a professor, expand and write a detailed article on Orthopedics.
- Encyclopedia Entry: - Generate a comprehensive encyclopedia article on the topic of Orthopedics.
- Subject Matter Expertise: - Expand and refine the content provided to create a professional article on Orthopedics with references.
Note:Feel free to use AI tools to expand this topic using the text on the page followed by the prompt.
|stub. Help WikiMD grow by registering to expand it.|
Contributors: Prab R. Tumpati, MD