What is Zanzibari cuisine?
- Zanzibar is the older name for Tanzania.
- Zanzibari cuisine reflects several culinary influences, as a consequence of the multi-cultural and multi-ethnic nature of Zanzibar's and Swahili heritage.
What culinary traditions influence Zanzibari cuisine?
It is a mixture of various culinary traditions, including Bantu, Arab, Portuguese, Indian, British and Chinese cuisines.
What are some examples of Zanzibari dishes?
- Sorpotel is a recipe of Portuguese-Indian (Goan) origin.
- It consists of a mixture of boiled meat; in Zanzibar, this includes tongue, heart and liver.
- It is cooked with masala (a mix of spices similar to curry), as well as tamarind and vinegar.
- The spice cake is the most typical dessert in Zanzibari cuisine.
- It is made of a pastry with a mix of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and chocolate.
Boko-boko is a sort of stew of meat cooked in maize, ginger, cumin, chili, tomato and onion.
4.Date and hazelnut bread
Bread prepared with hazelnuts and dates, as well as eggs and vanilla, is the most traditional food to celebrate the end of Ramadhan.
Pilau meat is usually prepared with goose (sometimes calf or cow) meat cooked with potatoes, onions, spices, coconut milk and rice.
6. Pepper shark
Shark is one of the most traditional types of Zanzibari seafood; it is prepared with pepper and other spices.
7. Pweza wa nazi
Pweza wa nazi (meaning "octopus and coconut" in Swahili) is octopus boiled in coconut milk, curry, cinnamon, cardamom, garlic and lime juice.
Can you help answer any of these frequently asked questions on Zanzibari cuisine?
- What is the traditional food for Zanzibar?
- Does Zanzibar have good food?
- What spice is Zanzibar famous for?
- Is Zanzibar food spicy?
- What is Zanzibar pizza?
- What spices grow on Zanzibar?
- Is there Mcdonald's in Zanzibar?
- Are restaurants open in Zanzibar?
- What are some popular foods in Tanzania?
- What does Zanzibar produce?
- What's in cardamom?
- What is Zanzibar curry powder?
- What is the most popular food in Tanzania?
WikiMD is the world's largest, free medical and wellness encyclopedia.
Navigation: Wellness - Encyclopedia - Health topics - Disease Indexââ - Drugs - Rare diseases - Gray's Anatomy - USMLE - Hospitals
Ad: Tired of being Overweight? Try W8MD's insurance physician weight loss
Philadelphia medical weight loss & NYC medical weight loss.
WikiMD is not a substitute for professional medical advice. See full disclaimer.Credits:Most images are courtesy of Wikimedia commons, and templates Wikipedia, licensed under CC BY SA or similar.
Contributors: Admin, Prab R. Tumpati, MD